Yuma CB'ers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CB Radio 10 codes

Go down

CB Radio 10 codes Empty CB Radio 10 codes

Post  Cobra Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:05 pm

When getting started, remember at least the following 10-codes:
10-1 Receiving Poorly
10-4 Ok, Message Received
10-7 Out of Service, Leaving Air (you're going off the air)
10-8 In Service, subject to call (you're back on the air)
10-9 Repeat Message
10-10 Transmission Completed, Standing By (you'll be listening)
10-20 "What's your location?" or "My location is..."
Commonly asked as "What's your 20?"
and maybe also this one...
10-100 Need to go to Bathroom
Also, remember that 10-4 only means "message received". If you want to say
"yes", use "affirmative". For "no", use "negative".
* What are the CB 10-codes?
---------------------------
10-1 Receiving Poorly
10-2 Receiving Well
10-3 Stop Transmitting
10-4 Ok, Message Received
10-5 Relay Message
10-6 Busy, Stand By
10-7 Out of Service, Leaving Air
10-8 In Service, subject to call
10-9 Repeat Message
10-10 Transmission Completed, Standing By
10-11 Talking too Rapidly
10-12 Visitors Present
10-13 Advise weather/road conditions
10-16 Make Pickup at...
10-17 Urgent Business
10-18 Anything for us?
10-19 Nothing for you, return to base
10-20 My Location is ......... or What's your Location?
10-21 Call by Telephone
10-22 Report in Person too ......
10-23 Stand by
10-24 Completed last assignment
10-25 Can you Contact .......
10-26 Disregard Last Information/Cancel Last Message/Ignore
10-27 I am moving to Channel ......
10-28 Identify your station
10-29 Time is up for contact
10-30 Does not conform to FCC Rules
10-32 I will give you a radio check
10-33 Emergency Traffic at this station
10-34 Trouble at this station, help needed
10-35 Confidential Information
10-36 Correct Time is .........
10-38 Ambulance needed at .........
10-39 Your message delivered
10-41 Please tune to channel ........
10-42 Traffic Accident at ..........
10-43 Traffic tieup at .........
10-44 I have a message for you (or .........)
10-45 All units within range please report
10-50 Break Channel
10-62 Unable to copy, use phone
10-62sl unable to copy on AM, use Sideband - Lower (not an official code)
10-62su unable to copy on AM, use Sideband - Upper (not an official code)
10-65 Awaiting your next message/assignment
10-67 All units comply
10-70 Fire at .......
10-73 Speed Trap at ............
10-75 You are causing interference
10-77 Negative Contact
10-84 My telephone number is .........
10-85 My address is ...........
10-91 Talk closer to the Mike
10-92 Your transmitter is out of adjustment
10-93 Check my frequency on this channel
10-94 Please give me a long count
10-95 Transmit dead carrier for 5 sec.
10-99 Mission completed, all units secure
10-100 Need to go to Bathroom
10-200 Police needed at ..........

* Where are 10-codes used?
--------------------------

10-codes originated in the USA and are, apparently, only used in English-speaking countries. However, no matter which codes are used in your country, be aware that there are local dialects in every urban area and region. You have to listen to others to learn the phrases and codes in you area.

Be aware that the use of codes specifically to obscure the meaning of a transmission is probably illegal in most countries. The difference is this - codes which are well known and make communications shorter or more efficient are normally allowed.

* What are some of the more common Q-codes ?
-------------------------------------------

Q-codes are used in many kinds of radio communications, including CB sideband but not typically on CB AM. (If your radio doesn't have sideband, don't worry about Q-codes.) Q-codes originated with amateur radio but their use in CB, even more so than 10-codes, can vary depending on who published the list.

The following is an abbreviated list of Q-codes borrowed from amateur radio:

QRM man made noise, adjacent channel interference
QRN static noise
QRO increase power
QRP reduce power
QRT shut down, clear
QSL confirmation, often refers to confirmation cards exchanged by hams
QSO conversation
QSX standing by on the side
QSY move to another frequency
QTH address, location

The following is from a list of Q-codes used by the X-Ray Club (a sideband- users club headquartered in Paradise, California):
QRL Busy, Stand By
QRM Man Made Interference
QRT Stop Transmit or Shutting Down (same as 10-7 on AM)
QRX Stop Transmit or Standing By
QRZ Who is Calling?
QS Receiving Well
QSB Receiving Poorly
QSK I have something to Say or Station breaking
QSM Repeat Message
QSO Radio Contact
QSP Relay Message
QSX Standing By (same as 10-10 on AM)
QSY Changing Frequency
QTH My Location is... or What's your location?
QTR Correct Time

Q-codes may be used to ask questions (QTH?) or to answer them (QTH is 5th & Ivy Streets.)

The ARRL Handbook and the ARRL operating guides have more complete listings of those used for amateur radio. (ARRL is an amateur radio organization.) Historically, the Q signals were instituted at the 'World Administrative Radio Conference' (WARC) in 1912. Because of their international origin, Q-codes may be more accepted outside English-speaking countries than 10-codes are.

* What are some tips for communicating with others on the CB? -------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a list that is generally considered proper procedure or polite when using a CB radio. It can also be considered a beginner's survival guide. This list was compiled from common problems that have plagued beginners since CBs first became popular.

- When two people are talking, essentially they temporarily "own" the channel. US FCC regulations say that they have to give other people opportunities to use the channel if they're going to use it more than several minutes. But it is not up to an outsider to "take" the channel from them.

- Take care not to "step on" other units (i.e. transmitting at the same time as they are, thereby making both your transmissions unreadable.) This usually means that you should adjust your break squelch level so that you can hear the other unit and then only begin to transmit when you can't hear anyone else.

- NEVER deliberately key over someone else. Nobody likes that.

- If you hear one unit break for another unit, give some time for the unit to respond before you say anything yourself. (Keep in mind that they may have to fumble for a microphone in a moving car or dodge furniture enroute to a base station.) Remember, the calling unit has the channel.

- If you want to talk on a channel that is in use, it is very likely that your initial transmissions will accidentally "walk over" someone elses. So you must keep them short. The word "break" is generally accepted. Try to time it in a pause in the conversation.

- Even when your "break" has been recognized, keep your next transmission short. For example, "Break one-seven for Godzilla" if you're on Channel 17 and looking for someone whose handle is Godzilla. If Godzilla doesn't answer in a reasonably short amount of time, it doesn't hurt to say "thanks for the break" to the units that stopped their conversation for you.

- If you break on an open (unused) channel, you don't have to be as brief. For example, "Break 17 for Godzilla. Are you out there Godzilla?". However, the short form is perfectly acceptable, too. Use what fits your style.

- If someone speaking to you gets "walked over" so that you can't understand the message, you basically have two options. You can tell the person you were listening to, "10-9, you were stepped on", or you can find out what the breaker wants, "Go ahead break", before returning to your original conversation. You should eventually recognize the breaker and find out what they want.

- If two people are talking and you would like to interject a response, you will probably just walk over someone. Use the procedure above to properly break into the conversation.

- If someone doesn't answer your breaks after two or three attempts. Stop and wait for several minutes or, in mobile units, for several highway miles or city blocks. Others may have their radios on and don't want to listen to the same break more than three times in succession.

- In other circumstances, improvise. Take into account other people's points of view. Give people proper access to the channel and try not to do anything to annoy other units.

- If you make a mistake in any of the procedures above, don't waste air time on a busy channel by apologizing. (If the channel isn't busy, it's your choice.) Just try to do it right in the future. Everyone takes a little time to learn.

OK, now you know how to conduct yourself on the radio. However, there are and will probably always be units that don't. Be patient. You don't have authority to enforce any rules so don't break any by trying
Cobra
Cobra
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 16
FRN# : 0015687585
Radio Model : Cobra WX75
Registration date : 2007-10-17

http://yuma4wheelers.com

Back to top Go down