Yuma CB'ers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver

2 posters

Go down

Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver Empty Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver

Post  brujo de la colonia Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 am

It looks like the one in this e-bay auction link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RANGER-AR3300-RADIO-CB-HAM-SHORTWAVER_W0QQitemZ320215796396QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1502QQcmdZViewItem

There are several things wrong with this e-bay auction description:
1.) Look at rear and top of radio, notice all the corrosion on the metal case and screws?
2.) Look at the tape all over it. How's a fellow supposed to hear it well, when the speaker is all covered up in tape?
3.) seller says the radio puts out 100 watts. This is a LIE, the AR-3300 is a 25 watt radio, it cannot be modified to put out 100 watts. They did make a model AR-3500 that put out 100 watts; that model can be distinguised by a different looking face plate, and a much larger heat sink fin assembly on the rear of the radio.
4.) Seller claims it works on CB, it never did, it only works in the 10-meter amateur band (28.0 to 29.99 Mhz; CB is the 11-meter band, 27Mhz). However, it can be made to work on CB band by doing a well published (and illegal) modification. CB is limited by FCC rule to 5 watts input power, a 25 watt (or 100 watt as seller falsely claimed) radio cannot legally be used in the CB band.
5.) Seller claims it will receive shortwave bands. FALSE - there are no shortwave broadcast bands in the 10-meter amateur radio band. The only way to make this radio receive shortwave broadcast band is to install a crystal frequency converter between the antenna and the radio.
6.) The power plug is missing in the photos of the radio, this is highly inconvenient as it's a special size and shape not easily found.
7.) See any mobile mounting bracket in the photos? Neither did I.

The only truthfull thing this seller stated is that this radio will talk around the world. It will. I had this radio installed in my car, and I had a lousy 4-foot long helically would CB antenna (cut down to resonate in the 10-meter band), and I could talk to Japan, Canada, Argentina, Spain, etc with it.

Now with that off my back, on to the description of my radio. I am the original owner/purchaser of this AR-3300. I purchased the optional engineering prints and technical manuals for it shortly after buying the radio.

My radio has the following benefits to it, for the lucky buyer:
1.) It has been well cared for, is not corroded, and has never been modified in any way, it is in factory original condition.
2.) It works, and works well, just as good as when it was new.
3.) Includes the microphone, hard to find DC power input plug, and mobile mounting bracket.
4.) Includes the original owner's manual, the technical manual, and two long boxes full of 15" x 22" engineering prints. These prints are rolled up, not creased and folded and dog-eared, and come in the original factory boxes as mailed to me from the manufacturer. Prints include all mechanical layout drawings, all circuit board artwork, and schematic diagrams.
5.) the speaker is in great shape, no dry rot, rips or tears, and sounds as good as new (not funny buzzes or rattling noises that a bad speaker can cause).
6.) Unlike the rip-off price of $157.50 that the piss-poor example of a radio in the above e-bay link sold for, all I want for it is $60.00, complete with all accessories, prints, and manuals. I might even entertain a reasonable offer of slightly less than the asking price.

Now, the buyer can do as he wishes with this radio. There is a very well published modification (both in books and on the internet) that will allow this radio to operate in the CB band. I have the technical knowledge to do the modification, but I WILL NOT do it. However, if the buyer is of a mind to break the law and place this radio in service in the CB band, he will find the task exceedingly easy, with the included prints and technical manual. All I ask is that you buy the radio, and DO NOT inform me of any intentions to illegally operate this radio in the CB band. If you tell me that is your intention, I will not sell it to you.

So that's it, a great radio with a super sensitive, HOT receiver, for sale for only $60.00 OBO. Come and get it. I've lost interest in Ham Radio, and have not used it for over 2 years, so I want to sell it to help make room in my tiny workshop. And even if I was still interested in Ham Radio, the wife doen't want me to build another antenna farm in the back yard. So it has to go, and you can be the lucky new owner at a really great price. I still have an active amateur radio license, call sign KB6EPO. I won't ask the buyer for his amateur call sign as a condition of sale, as posession of this radio without a amateur radio license is not illegal, it is only illegal to put it on the air without a license, and that's YOUR business, I won't pry into your business. Just buy this thing and take it off my hands.

brujo de la colonia

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver Empty SOLD

Post  brujo de la colonia Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:45 pm

This radio has been sold.

brujo de la colonia

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver Empty Post in Need of MAJOR Corrections (For Fact-NOT-Flames)

Post  uzi9mmauto Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:02 pm

3.) seller says the radio puts out 100 watts. This is a LIE, the AR-3300 is a 25 watt radio, it cannot be modified to put out 100 watts. They did make a model AR-3500 that put out 100 watts; that model can be distinguised by a different looking face plate, and a much larger heat sink fin assembly on the rear of the radio.

CORRECTION: The Radio has TWO High power Kits available. I know it keeps the same fins on at least one of them. One of them was for 100 WATTS. You are correct about the 3500 however.

4.) Seller claims it works on CB, it never did, it only works in the 10-meter amateur band (28.0 to 29.99 Mhz; CB is the 11-meter band, 27Mhz). However, it can be made to work on CB band by doing a well published (and illegal) modification.

***CORRECTION: You remove a 1/2 jumper. 29.000+/- - 29.999+/- Also- the MOD was not illegal, but operation on the 11 meter band was restricted for transmitting purposes.

5.) Seller claims it will receive shortwave bands. FALSE - there are no shortwave broadcast bands in the 10-meter amateur radio band. The only way to make this radio receive shortwave broadcast band is to install a crystal frequency converter between the antenna and the radio.

***CORRECTION: Thru the Menu on the Ranger Ar-3300 you CAN tune the receiver thru 10,11,12 meter bands. I was able to transmit down to 23mhz on mine. However the receiver goes down to 2.9mhz (If Memory Servers Correctly) Plus the Menu also allows above 30.000mhz but I have since been unable to recover that menu sequence.

***Clarification- There are TWO Ways to access outside the radio's 10 meter state. One is done thru the menu that allowed you to use the radio from 2.9mhz thru 30hmz+ on all bands. Technically this radio DOES receive SHORTWAVE. How far depends on the
Ranger 3300's board bandwidth. The person wasn't really lying at all. Now under the current definition of a 'MOD' that was required for the 3300 was not illegal. Under today's FCC rules if the radio was resold would be in more violations but NOT illegal to remove the stupid white or black jumper. Ok- I think I covered all of the facts here.

Have a Great Christmas. I found this post on Google and felt very strongly about correcting the misinformation. My intent was for correction purposes only as I am a person obsessed with trivias and facts.

uzi9mmauto

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-21

Back to top Go down

Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver Empty Re: Ranger AR-3300 10-meter band mobile amateur radio tranceiver

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down